#20 Borat like to hunt

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

#23 final summary

Ahhhh, what a @#$%&*? relief!! Completing this Learning 2.0 program has at times been a struggle for me to fulfill and I can’t believe that I am actually looking forward to checking and filing memberships once again. The course was lengthy and I think 12 tasks to complete would have been sufficient and more enjoyable. I did enjoy completing parts of it and it has helped to make me more aware of some great online services. The online services available to individuals are great. My favourite parts of Learning 2.0 were flickr, the online image generator, learning about the benefits of Wikis, online word processing, spreadsheets etc. and the wonderful service of YouTube. The Learning 2.0 podcast brainwashing sessions for each weekly task have also been very helpful in developing my American accent.

Online learning is a tremendous service, but my greatest concern is it is simply that; which is online, and can only be fully appreciated by privileged members of our society, like myself, who is fortunate enough to be able to use GRLC computers, ample internet and printing services. Many people and families simply can not afford the required equipment such as a PC, software including anti-virus programs and a broadband internet service. This is why public libraries are so valuable in providing individuals of all socio-economic classes with the same services and opportunities. The GRLC does provide a great internet service and the latest computing equipment to the general public at no economic expense. However, GRLC internet users have a very limited amount of time to use these online services and therefore very limited learning opportunities. This is compared to wealthier individuals and families who can afford their own computing equipment, software and 24/7 online internet services.

No comments: